Friday, March 3, 2017

How I Plant-Based Diet


Plant-Based Diet (It’s seriously not that hard)

So, I was speaking with my Aunt/Bff (she’s a dietitian and total health freak… in a good way) about my back pain. I have scoliosis and experience back pain every day, but I had recently injured myself while exercising and in more pain than usual. I also have joint pain, because I guess I’m an old 23 year-old. If it storms, I’m in pain. If the weather changes (I live in Alabama; this is a regular occurrence) I’m in pain. It’s something I have to live with. Anyway, we were talking, and she told me about how she recently changed to a plant-based diet for all of the wonderful health benefits. While doing her research on it, she discovered that this diet has great anti-inflammatory benefits. She told me to read up on it, and maybe I’d like to try it. If it helps with my pain, I’m all for it! Let’s face it, we’re also helping save the cute little animals out there! That’s a plus, right!?

I decided I would give this diet a try. It can’t hurt, and if I hate it or have a bad experience I can stop. It seemed so ridiculously complicated to do this at first. What do I eat when I’m out and about? How to I make sure I get all of the nutrients that I need? I need PROTEIN!! (There is PLENTY of protein in plant-based food. PLENTY.) Another thing; I’ve always planned meals based on meat, so I was unsure of how to begin planning a meal with no meat! (some kind of meat, a veggie, a starch; some kind of meat, 2 veggies; maybe a roll or bread with either of those) I would even season everything based on the meat I was cooking.


 When I decided to go on Pinterest and look up plant-based meal ideas, I got even MORE overwhelmed. There were hardly ANY easy/quick meal ideas. Everything had all of these crazy ingredients, and recipes trying to be non-plant-based foods. “Vegan Nacho Cheese Dip!” “Cauliflower Mac N Cheese!” “Chickpea Buffalo Wings!” It was just too much. You cannot dwell on what you can’t eat on this diet, and spend too many hours and ridiculous groceries making pretend mac n cheese that probably won’t even be worth it. Think about all of the delicious foods that you CAN eat. I love veggies. I mean I LOVE VEGGIES!


Once I got the hang of what I can/need to eat, I realized how easy it was. I’m a creative cook, always have been. Not everyone is that way, so I decided to share what I make, and how I get all of the nutrients that I need. The biggest tip I can give you for being able to accomplish this is LEFTOVERS! Make a lot of food for dinner and you can eat on it the next day for lunch and even breakfast. Sometimes I will make enough for the next night too! I don’t get tired of it, because I change it up! I feel better than I’ve ever felt. I feel great about what I’m doing. I have more energy for exercise and day to day activities. I have a better attitude. I’m never “hangry” anymore! (and let me tell you, I was the devil when I got hungry) I have a very high metabolism and I’m naturally thin, so I do have to eat A LOT. If you are doing this to lose weight and won’t eat as much, I still believe you will not feel too hungry. You’re getting all of the nutrients that you need, but I do recommend at least taking a daily vitamin. Anyone would recommend you take one on any diet though. I hope this helps you in your journey to go Plant-Based. You will feel GREAT!!

No comments:

Post a Comment